Lagos Governor Sanwo-Olu Orders Probe into Afriland Towers Fire

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has ordered an investigation into the fire at Afriland Towers and Central Plaza on Lagos Island. The announcement came less than 24 hours after the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) confirmed that four of its staff members also died in the fire, bringing the official death toll from the incident to at least ten.

The directive for a probe was announced during a press briefing held on Thursday in Alausa, Ikeja.

Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, stated that the governor’s decision followed misinformation and speculation surrounding the fire. He urged members of the public to disregard rumours and await the outcome of a formal investigation.

Mr Omotoso emphasised the state government’s commitment to public safety, noting that Lagos has made significant investments in emergency response infrastructure, including the commissioning of 62 fire trucks in a single day last year.

He also highlighted the availability of specialised equipment such as ladders capable of reaching buildings with more than ten floors.

The Director-General of the Lagos State Safety Commission, Lanre Mojola, revealed that the fire originated from the basement of the building, where emergency inverter batteries were stored. He said that the smoke from the fire spread rapidly through the building’s air-conditioning ducts, causing panic and making evacuation difficult.

Mojola confirmed that the victims died from smoke inhalation and not from direct fire injuries. He added that first responders arrived at the scene promptly and acted swiftly to manage the situation. He also stated that more than 200 high-rise buildings in Lagos will undergo fire safety certification in 2025, and he encouraged property owners and facility managers to register their premises for routine safety inspections.

Director of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Margaret Adeseye, said firefighters arrived at the scene less than 20 minutes after the distress call was received. She said that despite facing challenges such as traffic congestion and crowd interference, they were able to contain the spread of the fire and rescue several individuals who were trapped inside.

The director of the Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS), Dr. Wuraola Makinde, confirmed that emergency medical personnel were immediately deployed to the scene.

She said that victims suffering from smoke inhalation were treated at the General Hospital in Lagos free of charge and that three of those injured have since been discharged and reunited with their families. She added that all fatalities were as a result of inhaling toxic smoke, not from burn-related injuries.

In a statement earlier, Sanwo-Olu extended condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the tragic fire incident at Afriland Towers. He also sympathised with the company’s grieving loss of staff members as well as traders affected by a fire outbreak at Central Plaza. The governor expressed the commitment of the state government to strengthening safety measures and improving emergency response to better protect lives and property in the state.

“I extend my heartfelt condolences to the families who lost loved ones, the traders who lost their goods, and to the Federal Inland Revenue Service, United Capital, and other companies who are grieving valued members of their teams and significant loss due to the fire incidents at Afriland Towers and Central Plaza,” he said.

“In this difficult time, Lagos mourns with you, and together we will find the strength to move forward. We remain firmly committed to strengthening safety measures and improving emergency response so that we can better protect lives and property in our State.

“As we grieve, let us also draw strength from one another. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with every family, every colleague, and every trader who is carrying the weight of this loss.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post